Pomelo Projects

  

Friday 27 January 2012

Sweet Chilli Sauce


So I like totally innovated on this one. But I was kind of forced to by the fact that the thick, sticky consistency that I was hoping for never quite materialised despite a lot of manic boiling and bubbling. As a result, the biggest addition I made to the recipe was quite a large quantity of cornflour. But the sauce came out fine – not cloudy at all.
10 long red chillies
6 garlic cloves
250ml rice vinegar
300ml water
300g sugar
6 tbsp fish sauce
4 tsps cornflour

1) Blitz the chillies and garlic cloves.
2) Add the vinegar, water, sugar and fish sauce.
3) Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.

If the sauce is not thickening after about 10 minutes, mix the cornflour with a bit of water and add tentatively until it has reached the right consistency.

This sauce is eye-wateringly potent, especially during the simmering stage, but it doesn’t turn out especially spicy. I’ve been fantasising about slathering it on to a pork mince burger. MMM. I want to go to there (little quote for the Tina Fey fans among you).

No comments:

Post a Comment