Pomelo Projects

  

Friday 27 January 2012

Mango Chutney

So after much research I went with Delia for my mango chutney recipe. Here it is:

I like the fact that this recipe doesn’t call for any fresh chilli. I wanted to make a sweet and sticky chutney like good old Sharwood’s. Spicy chutneys stress me out, especially if you’re eating them with a spicy curry. For me, Indian condiments are more tempting when sweet or cool or sour, just not too hot. Delia’s view is that mango chutney should be full of large, visible chunks of mango but I’m the kind of person that doesn’t like bits in her orange juice so I decided to cut my mango up nice and small.

I’m not sure if the size of my mango chunks had some bearing on the colour of my chutney, but it came out utterly brown, not like Sharwood’s at all, and not like the picture on Delia’s website.


I’ve got no idea how they make their chutney orange – as soon as I added the malt vinegar and the brown sugar, it was obvious my chutney would be dark brown. Lighting perhaps. The flash on my camera made it look slightly more appealing:


But wowzers does it taste good! You’re supposed to leave it to mellow for two months after jarring up. We cracked into ours after about 3 weeks and it was already through-the-roof delicious.

A brief footnote: Ottolenghi writes in Plenty "Everybody knows now that the undisputed king of mangoes is the Indian Alphonso. It is intensely sweet and has an unbeatable perfumed aroma. I’d go as far as saying that you haven’t tasted a real mango until you’ve tried an Alphonso…" Veeeery interesting. I wonder if a mango chutney made from Alphonso mangoes would be even better, or perhaps the perfume of the fruit would be lost during three hours of cooking. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this online so I think an experimental Alphonso chutney might have to be made in April when the season comes round.

No comments:

Post a Comment