Pomelo Projects

  

Friday 27 January 2012

Piccalilli


Not a particularly innovative experiment by me, because I followed, pretty much to the letter, the Jamie Oliver recipe from Jamie’s Great Britain, which can be found here.

It worked just like he said it would, although I would stress that splitting the vegetables down to a manageable size is vital- you’ve really got to imagine what size of broccoli stem you could tolerate in your sandwich. This is apparently ridiculously good in a ham and cheese sarnie. Although piccalilli is a great example of traditional east-meets-west preserving, I think it’s probably best that we don’t toast British imperial rule whilst we eat it. Was I alone in wincing at the TV screen when Jamie Oliver forced his camera crew to hold their drinks aloft and cry ‘to the Empire!’?


No comments:

Post a Comment